Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Self Publishing Poem Project

   
Comfy Cocoons
How nice it would be
To lay in our comfy cocoons
All along
The lazy afternoons,
And perhaps when we feel
When the time is right
We can take off
Into the future with flight,
Because what real use
Is it to stay at home
In our comfy cocoons
All alone.

      The two main methods I focused on for this project revolved around self publishing through advertising and speech.  Since I was putting all my time and energy into only two methods I wanted to take each one to a whole new level.

     For advertising, the video below shows me travelling all around UBC as I attempt to place a poem in every single faculty building.  As for speech, I wanted to speak with every custodian in each 
building about my poem and see what they had to say about it.  I 
got different results from everyone I spoke with.  Some were not interested and told me they were busy with work while others happily read my poem.  There was even one custodian that became angry with me when I tried to talk to him about my poem.  I was quite intimidated at times, but I made many new friends with the nicer ones and i'm very content with that.

     My favorite building that I went to was definitely Allard Hall, the UBC faculty of law.  There was a very kind old lady who worked the evening shifts at the building and was kind enough to read my poem.  The best part was the positive feedback, she told me how she loved the simplicity and theme of it.  We quickly became acquainted and we spent some time afterwards talking about miscellaneous things.

     I have met many different characters along the way of this self publishing journey and I am sure I won't be able to remember all of their names, but this English project has allowed me to become exposed to various personalities that I otherwise would have never met.  Showing them my writing was a very scary thing to do but i'm satisfied with the feedback (and denials) I received.  All in all this was a very interesting experience and I hope I did not bother the custodians too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment